Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Monday, August 16, 2010

If I have to have O2 it will be in designer bags

As if dealing with the "stigma" of Copd and Emphysema (especially emphysema) isn't enough, using a cannula 24 hours a day for oxygen can really effect how we feel about ourselves.

Sorry guys... This won't help you (unless you want to find a manly backpack)

As a woman I still wanted to feel as feminine as possible. Because of the cannula I already had one strike, then I had to give up perfumes because the smell would take my breath away, then earrings had to go because they would get caught up in the cannula, same with necklaces (most of them). So I was not thrilled when they showed me the "bag" and backpack options for my O2 canisters! You might as well have raised the red flag and said... Look here is the source of my O2!

So, I went home and placed their options in the top of my closet and started going through my handbags. I am a handbag gal. Love them! I passed this love onto my daughter and as she says, we started “collecting” them about 4 years ago. Between us we have a ridiculous amount of beautiful and expensive bags.
Many of my bags were not long enough. My O2 canister is about 12 inches long, and some of them were not leather (which means they would tear or get punctured). But I found 2 that I can use. And, now I am looking at stores for new options.

First I had to find something that fit over the valve (top of the canister where you crank it open or closed), because it was pointy and I did not want to ruin a good bag. I found out the need for this when I bought a bag (thank god cheap) at a store in the mall and after a few days with my canister in it, it had poked a hole in it! :(

Now I have great bags I can still use for a purse too, they hold my wallet, keys, lipstick, cell phone and my O2 canister!

So ladies… We don’t have to give up looking good, having a stylish bag that matches our outfits… we just have to be creative.

Here is one of my bags. It’s a Kenneth Cole and very roomy.





So, the next time you're at the store look around. I found a couple really cute ones at Walmart and Target. You don't have to do without style to use O2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was curious, you talk of your insurance problems, but no where does it say you got Social Security disability which qualifies you for Medicare. I find your blogs interesting as I too suffer from COPD, Pulmonary Hypertension, Sjogrens, And Malt Lymphoma in the lungs. I can relate to the depression and the anger. There are some days you would love to find someone to beat the devil out of them and the next day you don't want to communicate with anyone. Your grand daughter is very good for you as she is innocent and she loves you for who you are not worried about canules or other problems you have. I hope your tests are negative. Thanks for the blog,
Jim Patterson
jpatte2@twcny.rr.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for the comment Jim. I did get accepted for SSI and therefore I recieved our Oregon Health Plan which covers most things. Just recently has it been a problem getting any treatment or procedure approved and that is the biopsy on my thyroid. I am calling today to see if it has been approved or I need to pay out of pocket.

I am glad that you related with my blog. It didn't start out as my
purpose, but it does help me knowing by writing my personal issues down I am speaking for many.

I wish you strength, happiness and health.