Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Monday, May 24, 2010

Depression Soup



When I was little I remember the Methow River would freeze solid in the winters. The entire neighborhood would get together and have skating parties. There would be huge pots of Hot Chocolate for the kids and an even bigger pot of the best Soup ever! On the banks would be a Bonfire and benches to sit around. Growing up in Pateros during those years was really pretty darned close to the Norman Rockwell drawings.

I don't remember in my older years having that soup very often, so when I came across this recipe of Mom's I was THRILLED! It was written by her and she gives credit to Grandma Gorsage for the recipe, but had renamed it Skating Soup. :)

When I made it today the smell took me right back to the frozen river.

1 package (about a pound) of stew meat, browned in soup pot.
After browned cover with water and bring to boil with 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 large can stewed tomatoes.
Simmer for a couple hours.

Peel 3 large carrots and grate.... add to pot with 1/2 cup alphabets or barley.
Reduce heat and let simmer a couple hours.
Add 2 medium potatoes peeled and grated.
Add more water and 2 tablespoons of Kitchen Bouquet to season and add color.
Simmer another `1/2 hour.
Salt and Pepper to taste and add more Kitchen Bouquet if necessary.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory, Kellie...and the soup sounds so good, too...with this weird cold weather in May, think I will make it tomorrow! Thank you for sharing a part of yourself, Savannah

Anonymous said...

Kellie, I did make this soup yesterday...couldn't believe how much it made and it was DELICIOUS!!! Served it with plain old bread and butter..wonderful meal for this cold and wet weather...thanks again!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you liked it.