Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Curried Chicken and Rice Soup (adapted from 365 Slow Comfort Foods)

Well I was thinking of you yesterday when I went to Weight In I was up .8 -it happens. It was a tough weekend. Anyways I made one of my favorite dishes that is if you like curry.

2 T. canola oil (I used olive oil)
1 lg. onion, finely chopped
2 T. curry powder (this is NOT too much!)
1/2 t. cumin
1 T. grated peeled fresh ginger
1 (10-oz.) can chicken gravy (I used ff Heinz turkey gravy)
4 c. water
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (trim off visible fat) -I used chicken breasts and it worked just as well
**2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 carrot, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1 t. salt (or more)
1 t. pepper
1 c. unsweetened coconut milk (I used light)
2 T. lime juice
3 c. cooked rice **I didn't mix the rice in but added it to each bowl to keep track how how much
**Heat the oil and saute onion until softened. Add the curry powder and cumin and saute until fragrant. Add ginger and saute until it sizzles. Stir in the gravy; scrape into slow cooker.
**I just cooked it slow and low on the stove until the tatters and carrots cooked up
*** Add water, chicken, potatoes, carrot, salt, and pepper.

Cover and cook on LOW 7-9 hours, or on HIGH 3-4 hours.Remove chicken and shred. Set aside. Either
1) sieve the soup over a bowl to catch the liquid and then puree the solid ingredients in a blender, or
2) use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Add the chicken back in. Add coconut milk and lime juice.

Cook without boiling until heated through, about 20 minutes.
(Actually, mine was still so hot--because I used the immersion blender--I didn't need to heat the soup after adding the last ingredients.)

Serve over rice in soup bowls. I do not have NI. This soup, before the rice is VERY low point!

It made about 8 cups.

From my friend LaVonne

No comments: