Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I know I haven't blogged in a few days. I have been holding off waiting to go to all my doctor appointments. No sense in continual complaining if nothing can be done, right?! LoL
Yesterday I had an appointment with the Pulmonologist. I was mentioning I had a pain in my left lung and was afraid he would prescribe more steroids. Nope. Actually, he says he is sorry I have pain but all blood work ordered and breathing tests show that it is Emphysema/Copd and we already knew that. That my lungs do not make sounds when listened to, and I have no fever, and even though I get more winded now my oxygen level was not any worse, and this is normal progression. So... He will see me in 4 months unless I have an emergency then call his office. Otherwise my GP can manage my care. I am relieved that I will not be on more steroids. I was a little disappointed that he couldn't give me a magic pill to stop the pain in my lung and make my breathing easier.

It did make me realize that there really is so little to do for this disease. It helped me understand that my lungs will hurt and my breathing will worsen. That is normal now.

Today I had my appointment with my GP. She is going to begin treating me for fibromyalgia. She says she is almost certain that this is what I have had for so long. I began some new anti-inflammatory and some other medication for RLS. My blood pressure was under control today so, no high blood pressure meds.. for that I am happy. She wants me to check my blood pressure weekly or more jot down the #'s and bring them into her next month.

It's one thing to take my daily medications for Copd/Emphysema.. they aren't in pill form, just inhaled. I hate pills! I always have been a terrible pill taker. So just having 2 pills to take everyday is a little annoying, but I'll take them. I am hoping that the anti-inflammatory will help. I have so much pain in my hips and back and feet, and I have had every since my back surgeries. I just hated taking pain meds and took myself off all of them and have learned to deal with the pain. To suddenly not have any pain would be such a nice surprise. Actually just to be able to sleep all night would be wonderful, to be able to get up out of chair and not hobble until my hips and legs remember how to work.

We did talk about anti-depressants and I told her I have been feeling much better lately. That I will keep an open mind about them, and if I feel I need them in the future I will be sure to let her know.

I have one more appointment this month and that one is Thursday with a Dermatologist. This doctor I have to go to Medford (about 80 miles away over a mountian pass) to see. I had a dermatologist here in town but he was killed last year. So tomorrow is my first appointment with him. I have a list of things I would like done, but I am afraid he will just look everything over then make appointments for treatment. And, more trips across the mountains. LOL
I had a malignant carcenoma about 8 years ago on my face. Had it removed and had radiation treatments for it, and haven't been back to be checked since then. That's what happens when you don't have insurance. So, I'll let you know what he says.

I had my Weight Watchers weigh in this morning and I gained .6 pounds. Grrrrr!! I suppose with everything I did this week .6 pounds is good and it could have been much worse. So... I am getting back on track. I told Bill "No More Cookie". And, it's back to the Zero points soups for lunch. I bought lots of veggies today and cut them up and bagged them, for those times I need a snack. Also bought some more Pop Corn, and fat free pudding for my sweet tooth. Also a TUB of sherbet! LOL It's fat free and satisfying at night when I need to feed.

I'll keep you posted on next weeks BIG LOSS!!! Count on it!! LOL This gaining weight is for the birds! Actually, even though I ate cookies, I still ate so much healthier than in years past, and for that I will give myself a pat on the back. Now, back on track and losing instead of gaining!!!

I am not a Shrimp or Fish eater. But, it is really good for us. So, I bought some shrimp and will try a few recipes and see how I do. I made Shrimp Scampi for Bill and Britt the other night. They said it was really good. Of course it was... It had a cube and a half of butter in it! LOL
I just need to pay attention to what I am eating, and plan ahead more, and watch portions.
Tomatoes and pasta sauces are really versatile and low in points. So, I am going to make a bunch and freeze it into servings for Bill and I. We have pretty much done away with white flour pasta. Most of our pasta is whole wheat now, which is a lot healthier and low in calories and higher in fiber.
I found some recipes for pasta sauces to change things up a little. Some have meat, some don't, some have fillers like artichoke hearts, others have peppers and onions. It'll be interesting to try them and see what we like.
I'll post the good ones.

Britt and Layla came on Saturday for a visit. They'll go home tomorrow. It is so nice to have them here. It's not very often that both of them are here. We usually just have Layla and then Britt comes to pick her up, or we drop her off. So, spending a little time with her was nice. She got to see some old friends and barbecue with others so that was good for her.

I'll do better about blogging. Some days I really have to find positive things to write about, other days just finding new ways to complain about the same old things! LOL

1 comment:

Sarah Renner said...

I love your honesty in all of this- I am still struggling with the weight loss too :( I am getting late night hungers, and of course I pick things that I can read my book and eat..like chips/pretzels of course. Ugh this sucks doesn't it! Anyways I too am starting again on the healthier eating. I went shopping yesterday and didn't buy anything unhealthy! I have to stop this late night eating...or start eating carrots and celery I guess. Good luck this week at weight watchers - has mom gone with you???