Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Weigh in and Spray Tans

I have noticed that making small simple changes in my daily routine can make a HUGE difference in not only my attitude, but my ability to handle my pain.

I have always been a soap opera watcher.  I actually watch WAY too much T.V..  Since I retired and had back surgeries my life became sedentary and predictable.  That was the beginning of my weight gain, and that is when I started smoking more also. 

Bill bought me an IPod and a Istereo  for Christmas and over the months I have downloaded a ton of music and Brittney has helped me so much by making smaller files for me.  (she is so computer savvy)
So now most days, well all days I feel good enough to get up and move... I turn on the music and be busy all day, instead of sitting in my chair drinking coffee.
I think this had made a huge difference in my pain threshold.  At night or when I sit down to eat or rest, or at night when I go to bed I notice my pain is still there and just as bad as it had been all day... the only difference is I am not sitting around thinking about it.  Of course times like now I feel every breath I am taking in my right lung and back.  That has not changed from the last 3 or 4 days.  It's just that putting my mind on something else keeps me from dwelling on all things wrong with me.

Saturday for Mothers Day, Britt bought us spray tans at a Day Spa near us.  They told us that it takes up to 6 hours to get it's full effect.  Our appointment was in the afternoon.  So, I came home and watched and nothing.  I was certain it didn't work.  LoL  So I went to bed.  I awoke the next morning and went in the bathroom and passed by the mirror!!!!  I definitely had a tan!!  Layla my little island baby had nothing on her grandma now!  LoL  I just kept thinking please don't get any darker, please don't get any darker! 
Prior to the actual appointment for some reason we were both under the impression that it lasted for 3 weeks.  Nope.  It lasts only a week.  I like the color on me.  It somehow makes me feel healthier.  I had always had a very dark tan my entire life.  About 10 years ago I had a malignancy on my face on the bridge of my nose close to my left eye.  I went through radiation, and have since stayed out of the sun as much as possible.  Mostly I just watched my face and wore sunscreen.
So, going pale and being a pasty white girl made me feel sickly. 

I told Britt I had decided since I am not really worried about "longevity" anymore I may as well go back to the tanning beds and just keep my face covered.
After our spray tan, she called me today and said that she had went and bought us both a month for the tanning beds.  Unlimited use for the month.

I have the best daughter.  She really is so thoughtful and takes such good care of me.  I am truly blessed having her in my life.  For mothers day not only did she get the spray tan for me, she also gave me a 100$ bill in a note.  She told me she knows how much I am missing my mom (we are going to have a memorial for her next month) so she wants me to take this and do something special while we are away.  <3 <3 

Now..... for the weigh in this morning.  I was certain, I actually would have bet $$ that I gained weight.  As it turned out I lost 2.4 pounds.  Which is almost half of what I had gained the previous week.   
I don't know how I could have lost weight??  But, I'll take it.  I knew the first half of the week went well, I just knew that the 2nd half of the week I blew it.

I need to be kinder to myself I think and give me a break.  Accept and take credit for the loss and not think about past failures.  Be kinder to me!!  I'll take a mental note!  LoL  That would do me no good since my memory is truly failing me.  Short term things.  I can tell you what happened 20 years ago, but I couldn't tell you a conversation I had 3 days ago.  I am not sure if this is typical of someone who has gone through menopause, or if this is a sign of something else.  Whatever has caused it... It is FRUSTRATING. 

I slept terrible last night.  I refuse to be sluggish all day though.  Keep moving!  Bill installed one of our air conditioners in my room today.  I love sleeping when it's cool, and I think one of the reasons I haven't slept well is because I get too warm at night.  I am hoping it will help. 
When I was a teenager we lived in Alaska and I remember Winter or Summer I would sleep with my window opened under a lot of covers.  So, things haven't changed much.  We lived in Oregon for about 5 years before I even owned a winter coat. 

After Britt gets out of her classes she will stop by and pick up her dog and child and I will have her take my measurements.  I will post the weekly progress then. 

as promised...........

There we go.  This is my latest chart.  It shows my big jump last week and trying to get back on track this week.  All I can do is take it one day at a time and hope for good results. 

No comments: