Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Getting ready for light cooking

I guess I didn't post it here, it was on facebook.  Well, a few days ago I asked Bill to pick me up some carrots when he was at the store.  I told him that even those baby carrots that are already cut up would be fine... I would just rinse them and cut them into bite sized pieces.  Those so often are slimy... a good idea they just never seem to keep very long.

Anyway... This is what Bill brings me back from the store.  A 10 pound bag of carrots!  I peeled and cut up about half the bag to munch on. 

The second shelf of my frig is pretty much filled with carrots.  LoL
 I am hoping I can find a use for the rest.  I'm thinking maybe a carrot/apple salad with walnuts.  :)  Mom used to make it.  I don't have the recipe but I think I can fake it.  Yep, I'll try that tomorrow.

Today was weigh in... and I didn't go.  It wasn't because I had gained weight, because I am pretty sure I lost at least 2 pounds.  I didn't wake up until almost 10:00.  Oh My Gosh!!  That just never happens.  I am not on new medication or anything, I just am so tired!  It's not even that I feel so tired when I go to bed, it's just from the time I wake up (later all the time) until afternoon.  I have been making myself exercise.  I am still doing it... it just is getting harder to keep going and not want to just quit and sit in my chair. 

I have been working out with my hand weights.  Doing 5 minute intervals.  I was thinking that Spring eventually will get here and I would really like to be able to wear short sleeved shirts without worrying about my flabby upper arms.  You all know what I am talking about.  Ewwwwwwww!

I have been thinking a lot the last couple days about this new recipe book idea.  It's not like it's a big deal or anything... the online site does most the work.  But the recipe's, The Recipes!  LOL  I began today playing with different flavors and fat free or lower calorie dishes.

Tonight we had Bow Tie Pasta with a white sauce and parsley, onions and left over turkey burgers.  I think this dish would work with any meat... or no meat for that matter.  It wasn't so bad.  Bill (my tester) said he would order it again in a restaurant.

1 box (14.5 ounce) Multi grain FarFalle Pasta (bow tie)
2 teaspoons butter
1 8 ounce can sweet peas (I would prefer frozen baby peas but I didn't have any)
4 ounces ground turkey (cooked the night before as burgers) diced small
1/2 medium onion chopped finely
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped finely
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons Beau Monde seasoning (love this... very versatile and great in summer salads like potato or macaroni)
1 teaspoon  Ground Coriander
3 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) Neufchatel Cheese (33% less fat cream cheese)
1 cup Fat Free Sour Cream
1 Cup Carnation evaporated milk (reduced calorie)
Salt and white pepper to taste


Bring to boil a pot of water with 1 teaspoon butter
Add pasta and cook about 15 minutes until aldente

Pour pasta out into strainer, then back into pot.
In a separate sauce pan with 1 teaspoon butter and cooking spray saute 1/2 onion with salt until  tender/clear.  Add to pasta and stir.

In the same sauce pan add 1 cup evaporated milk and flour, stirring over medium heat.  When it starts to thicken reduce heat and remove.
Add into sauce pan cream cheese and sour cream and spices.  Stir until smooth and seasoning is combined well.

Add to pasta mixture and stir well.  Gently add peas and parsley

Put into a 2 Quart casserole dish and bake @ 350 for 30 minutes.  Right before serving add .6 ounces or 17 grams of grated Parmesan cheese.

205 calories per cup  

I served it with steamed broccoli and a green salad.  Bill said I should have added the broccoli to the pasta.  I might try that next time.

I am really trying to experiment with spice and flavors in place of fat and carbs.  LoL  So, I have been stocking up my spice racks.  I was making soup last week and sent Bill to the store to buy me some Saffron Threads.  He came home cradling them like a baby and said... "Do you know how much these are?"  Yep... but a little goes a long way and they add such flavor!  I wanted ground saffron, but it is to be found No Where in town.

Our house was built in the 20's, so cupboards were not important.  Neither were closets or storage of any kind.  LoL  So, I needed somewhere to put my spices.  I found these racks at Fred Meyer and spray painted them black to match our kitchen.  Now I just need to find room for more of them.  LoL

I am getting excited about this new cookbook.  I will post pictures with most recipes, just so I can have the pictures for the cookbook. 

7 comments:

Muddy Knees said...

Saffron is easy to grind. Just put it in your mortar & pestle. I try to grind most of my spices at point of use. They taste so much stronger this way. I even ground cloves for my recent batch of gingerbread.

The fridge looks amazing. Keep up the awesome work.

Love,
AJ

Anonymous said...

Hey,Kellie, try this soup for some of your carrots...it's delicious! For protein, I put in cubes on high-protein tofu for a "complete" meal, but if you're not into tofu, just try the soup :) It's in my in-process recipe book :) Savannah

So tasty in the winter; inexpensive and easy to prepare...
Delish!!!

4-6 servings

1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1-1 1/2 T. grated ginger
1 1/2 lbs. carrots, sliced
2-4 C. low-sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
Fresh chives, chopped (for garnish)
Extra-firm or firm tofu, cut into small cubes (optional)
Directions: Saute onion & celery in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add ginger, carrots and broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes, til carrots are tender (I start out with 2 C. broth and add more if needed). Puree in blender 'til smooth, return to pot, add tofu if desired, and salt and pepper to taste. Reheat. Serve in bowls with chives as garnish.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I buy ginger already minced in a jar, since I don't use it that often, like minced garlic. I know they say it isn't as "good" but it's easy and always available in my fridge! Savannah

Giulia said...

TOO MANY CARROTS!!!! Even for me. And I eat at least two (minimum) a day. They're my munchy food. That and cheap head lettuce. I chow down on that all day long like some great cow grazing in a field. And YEAH - Saffron is outrageously expensive. How great that Billyboy bought it for you. For my treats my husband buys me Shushi. Ewwwwww...I know. Raw fish. Yetch. But to me it's DIVINE. I'd much rather have that than any cooked fish you could offer. Truly. And there ain't no calories in them thangs fo sho.

Unknown said...

Savannah,
I will try your soup. I honestly have never tried tofu before, so I just might give it a try and not tell Bill. If he knows tofu is in anything forget-about-it. LoL

Giulia,
I can't do the raw fish. I have tried it only once and I couldn't get past the textures. However, I am not a fish fan, I even have a problem with clams or tuna.
I made a small apple carrot salad with some of the carrots tonight. It didn't even dent the pile. LoL

Anonymous said...

Kellie, the soup is great without the tofu...:) S.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.