Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Weigh in day


This shows the total calories burned each day last week.
 I met Britt at the Weight Watchers meeting this morning for weigh in.  I went first... I lost 1.6 pounds.  Considering all the late night eating and the scattered work outs I was O.K. with that.  Had I watched my night time eating I would have easily lost another pound and met my goal of 2.6 per week.
Brittney met her goal and maintained it for 6 weeks so she achieved her lifetime membership.  That means that as long as she shows up once a month for a meeting weight watchers will be free to her.  That is as long as she is not more than 2 pounds above or anything lower.  She was smart and set her goal on the high side, then intends to lose another 10 or 15.  She looks great.  I am proud of her.

I am re-newing my weight loss commitment.  When I started weight watchers I was drinking H2O every day and not eating fatty foods at night.  I am returning to that mind set.  I had been drinking coffee all day and afternoon then drinking zero calorie flavored water.  Now I will use only 5 tablespoons of coffee creamer instead of 10+ and when the coffee's gone instead of making another pot I will drink water. 

I also stocked back up on carrots and grapes and apples and will eat those at night.  Well... I also bought Hershey's Bliss melt aways the Creme DE Menthe flavor.  They are 36.6 calories each.  I eat 3 of those and I feel satisfied. 

It started raining and sideways snowing today.  What that means for me is the unhealthy air will get better and get washed away.  Being inside the house for so long has gotten to me. 
I could feel depression sneaking up on me.  When that happens I don't care if I go anywhere, talk to anyone, even get out of my pajama's.  I snapped myself out of it quick enough... it just has been terrible having to rush from car to house, or car to store.  Fresh air really is nice some times.
Also, with that weight gain I was SO disappointed in myself.  When I get that way I tend to sabotage myself.  I know it while I am doing it, and while I am eating the sandwich in bed or 2 yogurts instead of one.  But... I do it anyway.

So......... I have a couple friends who are also on the road to weight loss.  This is what I can tell you...
Set goals for yourself.  Small ones, big ones... just a goal. 

Mine as everyone knows is a BIG one... I want to lose 49 pounds by the end of June.  It is a lofty goal and I will bend over and twist into if I can get there... but if I can't I am O.K. with that.  I am pledging that I will never see 200 pounds again, ever!   

I am now eating oatmeal made with water in the mornings with a tablespoon of brown sugar on it.  I have some kind of snack or two and then dinner, and a snack or two after.  The trick is... watch the calories of those snacks and plan ahead.  Like my 3 Hershey's melt aways at night.  Also, have veggies cut up waiting for those emergencies when you need something right now.  I can eat 2 cups of carrots in no time.  I crunch them like chips.
Speaking of chips... I found some Special K Sour Cream and Onion chips which are pretty good and you can have 27 of them for 110 calories.  I eat those if I get the munchies around lunch time.  It's the salt.  I crave salty things.  Sodium is so bad for our lungs that when I do allow myself to eat something salty... I savour it.  LOL  I really do.  Bill says this look of total satisfaction comes over my face.  LOL  What can I say?  I love my salt. 

Keep your portion sizes under control.  Weight Watchers says for meat and fish one portion is the size of a deck of cards.  You can google anything to find out calories per serving.  Also, to figure out a teaspoon... is from the tip of your pointer finger to the first joint.... A tablespoon is from the tip of your thumb to the first joint.
When you eat salad put the dressing on the side in a small dish and dip your fork into it then take a bite of salad.  You'd be surprised how little dressing you use this way.

If you looking for a low impact easy exercise to do... I swear by my mini trampoline.  Mine cost 29.99 at K-Mart.  Walmart has them too... I am sure most box stores do in the exercise department.  My feet don't leave the trampoline, and I run and walk in place.  I put it right in front of the T.V. and "work out" while I watch T.V..  I found the more interest I have in the show the less I watch the clock. 
I went and bought 3 1/2 pound weights, but you can use large cans of tomato sauce and do curls, or arm lifts to the side and in front and then behind your head.  You can even use the weights while on the trampoline or sitting in your chair. 

As for what to eat.  Well... I have pretty much stuck to Chicken Breasts and Ground Turkey.... Sometimes very lean sirloin or pork loin.  I use shredded chicken for taco meat, or ground turkey is just as good as ground beef for casseroles or tacos. 
I have found that any where you would use ground beef you can use ground turkey.  It's all in the spicing.  For turkey burgers... you can put your turkey in a bowl then mix a package of low sodium ranch dressing mix, or the cup of soups... the french onion mixed with turkey is awesome.  I mixed BBQ sauce into it and then made a meatloaf with it.  We eat it with taco seasoning a lot. 
Or bake chicken breasts on a baking pan and when it's done and cool... shred it for taco's. 
Use a baked chicken breast spiced with Italian seasoning and then melt a low fat slice of Monterrey Jack or Swiss and then top it with a spoon full of canned spaghetti sauce,  (you will have to watch the calories and fat and find one without added meat, just good ol tomatoes) a big green salad and you have a great dinner. 
I keep on hand 2% shredded cheeses... Mexican blend and cheddar and Swiss. 
I "portioned" size potato is great with fat free sour cream and a slice of turkey bacon chopped up on top of it. 

Any food you usually eat... except pizza and most pasta... you can find low fat alternatives that taste good.  I come home from the store and fry up the entire package of turkey bacon and keep it in a Ziploc bag in the frig.  It is low fat and only 35 calories per slice. 

Sara Lee has a whole wheat bread that is 45 calories per slice.  I bought sugar free ice cream topping (strawberry) and use it instead of jelly on toast. 

Anyway... I am re-thinking all of my ideas.  I still believe that with my cardio workout and adding water to my diet and quit late night eating... I can keep dropping weight fast enough to hold my interest.  If things get drawn out, and my progress slows I start back sliding.  I lose interest and will begin to slip.  I think it's pretty normal every 6 weeks or so... to re-evaluate why I am doing this.

Some day, I don't know when?  My doctor will tell me... Kellie you now qualify for surgery and there will be no waiting because you are at a healthy weight and have taken good care of yourself.  Yep... someday that will happen.

Whatever your reasons are... I promise you... If I can help at all, even if it's just learning from my mistakes... whisper to me and I will do whatever I can.  I know how hard it is to get started, and then it's a chore to keep going. 

4 comments:

Muddy Knees said...

You are doing so amazing. Hurray for your progress .

I am so happy to hear that you are eating breakfast. I do agree that with weight loss, it is a calories in and calories out thing. However, maintaining even energy will help you feel better and prevent over compensating at the next meal. Oatmeal is very healthy and is long burning energy food. I believe it is even one of those super foods that lowers blood cholesterol. Cinnamon and nutmeg is excellent in oatmeal to spice it up too. I believe cinnamon is also heart healthy spice.

Keep up the good work. You are amazing. Your drive is no doubt inspiring anyone that reads your blog.

Love ya,
AJ

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weigh-in this week, Kellie! I'm "back on track", too, and thanks for your weight loss tips. I, too, am glad you're eating breakfast--I like to cook "old-fashioned" oatmeal with a finely chopped apple that I put in the water before adding the oatmeal--it's yummy and adds sweetness! And I've learned, too, you just gotta drink the water--decaf tea can count towards your daily water intake, too. Onward and upward, Savannah

Anonymous said...

Good for you for staying up on your exercise and staying consistent with your mini trampoline exercise! I just came across your blog and want to go read more about your journey.

Spunkie said...

Help Kellie I can't get started I now weigh 210 at 5'3" at 63 I think I deserve the right to eat what I want and forget how much better I would feel at 145 Help Kellie any ideas to get me going.
Lov Ya Linda