Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Monday, February 15, 2010

I wanted to put a note in here that I have been on steriods since my last visit with the pulmonologist. I am not fond of them. They make me puffy feeling and they really do interfere with a good nights sleep.

When I was diagnosed with this I started obsessing about reading articles. I found every website that had anything to do with diagnoses, treatment and nutrition. If this was going to be part of my life I wanted to know all about it.

What I found honestly wasn't much. There just isn't many spots out there for people to go get information. So much of the treatment options and surgical options are outdated now. That is one reason I wanted to do this blog. Perhaps someone newly diagnosed will happen upon it and learn something. Or, realize they aren't alone feeling sadness, depression, anxiety, stress and fear.

We are not alone going through this. Our families are struggling too. I am finding out more and more of what they are going through now. Bill is as scared as I am. Maybe even more so in some ways. It was always his job to take care of me. Now with our divorce and this hideous disease that we can't stop, he is helpless. With me having a shortened future, it makes him think about his life too. We can't plan for anything, but we are aware our journey was shortened.

Anyway... Somewhere in the early days I read about nutrition and what a role it played in Lung health as well as Foods that help build my immune system.
I talked to the doctor and he told me in the beginning not to worry too much about my weight. I had just quit smoking and it was obvious I was going to put on pounds. Now the time has come where losing weight will help my breathing.

I joined Weight Watchers 3 weeks ago. The first week I had good success, losing 3.8 pounds the first weigh in. The 2nd and 3 week I missed the meeting because of surgery and a death in the family. The 4th week I went to the meeting and had lost another 2 pounds. Not a terribly high weight loss, but it all adds up.

Weight Watchers has worked for me in the past. And, it fits a healthy diet plan. Low Sodium, Low fat and high in fiber. A healthy Lung diet is colorful veggies. Red, yellow and dark greens. Apples and Pomegranites and dark red fruits are great as well.

It has just reminded me of all the foods we are supposed to eat. I am finding I still CRAVE salt! I wonder if that will go away. Honestly there is salt in EVERYTHING we eat, it's harder than you would think to stay away from it.

No comments: